Friday, July 19, 2013

REVIEW PETITION BY GOVERNMENT AGAIN

Government to file review plea on SC order on common medical entrance


New Delhi: The Union Health Ministry will be filing a review petition on Supreme Court order on common medical entrance examination. The apex court on Thursday quashed the common medical entrance - National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) - for admission to MBBS, BDS and post-graduate courses in medical colleges.
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad had said on Thursday that he was upset with the verdict. Top Health Ministry officials had also sought legal opinion on filing a review petition on the order.
Students seeking to pursue medical courses will now have to sit for separate examinations for private universities and colleges and shell out a big amount before taking admissions.
Over seven lakh students took the NEET in 2013 for the under graduate courses conducted by CBSE on behalf of Medical Council of India (MCI).
With the apex court quashing the notification issued by MCI for holding NEET, the long-standing proposal of the Health Ministry to hold a common entrance test for all medical colleges has also been brought to a notice. The Health Ministry had started the process of holding NEET for MBBS, BDS and post-graduate medical courses in 2009.
The Supreme Court in its order on Thursday scrapped holding of NEET, paving the way for private colleges to conduct their own examination.
The NEET has been dogged by controversies all along when some states earlier objected to holding of the exam only in one language and sought its holding in different regional languages.
Some states also opted out of the all-India quota, while private universities and colleges opposed to the government proposal sought more time to prepare themselves for the all- India exam. They later challenged the MCI notification in the apex court.
Meanwhile, online counselling process for MBBS admissions on the basis of NEET exam is underway and the first round result under the all-India quota would be out on July 20, while the counselling process for the state quotas would be completed by August 2.

5 comments:

anil gupta said...

very sad & disgusting...If there can be common entrance test for engineering then why not for medical Dirty nexus between politicians & private medical colleges (most of them owned by politicians).The lure of money will never let it happen..rich non-meritorious candidates purchasing seats doling out crores!!....I ffl the honourable Mr Altamas Kabir must have got a hefty retirement gift...India is going to dogs

Vishwas S Anesty said...

If Money can buy seats,what is the need for medical colleges? Govt can instead keep shops to sell medical degrees.!!

Unknown said...

indeed a very sad day for the medical seat aspirants..Govt should take real interest in student's life. SC verdict was unbelievable and it was so far the only hope for Indians and now that too.....

anonymous said...

India stands no where in the worldly competition because of all these silliest activities..students were trained to attempt NEET 2014 since last year..and even the books of the state government were changed accordingly...i feel the verdict was a nonsense...by such verdicts, it is evident that the pressure on the students is not considered..

akku said...

neet is must